Tuesday 10 April 2012

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (2011)

Sorry for the wait! I finally have internet on my laptop again, after a week of being back in Oregon.

On the plane ride back to America, I watched my fill of in-flight movies, including the 2011 Blockbuster Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol. I have been an avid fan of the series since the second film (not that the first film was bad), and really enjoyed the third film because the villain was played by Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

Ghost Protocol follows a mission gone wrong, agents gone rogue, and a nuclear crisis. Tom Cruise once again takes the lead as agent Ethan Hunt, although the fourth film in the franchise focuses more on teamwork than his personal story. You may recognize Simon Pegg from the previous film, once again acting as the “tech guy.” I’m glad that he has make the leap to big American films like Mission Impossible and Star Trek.

The rest of the cast is good but not as well known. Although the acting is fine, the stunts and technology are really the most gripping aspects of this film. The story goes all over the world, from Russia to Dubai, and in each locale Ethan Hunt is forced to make up tactics on the fly. I found several times that my heart was racing. In one case, I actually gasped out loud and surprised a few of my fellow passengers.

This film is an action film all-around, with an interesting take on the classic “nuclear threat” plot that you see in all-too-many spy thrillers. What makes this one stand out are the stunts, the story, and the spies themselves. Definitely worth a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment